Building Department

The Building Department is responsible for three primary functions:
    • Processing and issuing building permits
    • Advises on adoption and enforces the Town's building codes
    • Involvement with building safety, conducting site inspections, and issuing certificates of occupancy


*Please note that if you have not received development approval for your building project from the Board of Zoning and Architecture Review, do not apply for a building permit yet! Please visit the BOZAR page for more information on the development permit process


Building Permitting: 

    • This document provides an overview of the Town's building permit process
    • Building Permit Forms: Once you have development approval from BOZAR you can find the necessary permit forms for your project here 
    • New construction, remodels, additions, demolitions, solar, etc. each have a specified pathway to achieve permitting (Click here for more information) 


Building Codes:

    • Building Code information: As of January 1, 2023 the Town will be operating under the 2021 International Building Codes, as well as additional above code requirements (Click here for more information)


Building Inspection:

    • Once BOZAR and the staff have reviewed and approved a building permit application, the Building Inspector reviews the final construction drawings for compliance with the building codes. Once all code issues are addressed and fees are paid, a building permit is issued. The Building Inspector, the State Electrical, the state  Plumbing Inspectors, and the Crested Butte Fire Protection District inspect the project at designated stages to assure compliance with the codes and approved plans. Once the project is completed, the Building Department issues a Certificate of Occupancy.


Other projects that require permitting:

Outdoor Energy Use: 
    • Any hot tub larger that 64 square feet or outdoor heated space must be off-set by renewable energy sources or a REMP fee will be assessed. Contact the Building department prior to installing any outdoor heating system. Outdoor Energy Use Permit
    • Use this REMP Form to calculate the off-set or payment in lieu. 

Plumbing and Mechanical Work:

    • Plumbing and Mechanical Permit Application – Use this application for plumbing and mechanical work such as replacement of existing HWH. This permit application is used for but not limited to gas fire places and heat recovery ventilation systems and kitchen hoods. Please consult with the Building Inspector to determine if this is the proper application for the project that you are doing.

Tree Removal:


    • Driveway and Walkway Application – Site work such as driveways and walkways to be installed in the Town right of way required this application to be submitted for approval. 

Solid Fuel Burning Devices:

    • Solid Fuel Burning Device Application – submit this form for approval or new fireplaces and stoves. A check for $100 paid to the Town of Crested Butte shall be submitted with this application.

Sign Permitting:

    • Sign Permit Application - This application is required for a new sign or to make changes to an existing sign.  The application must be approved before the sign is made.


Solar Permits:


    • Solar Permit Application – Use this form to obtain a building permit when doing solar only. This submittal will require drawings showing location of solar panels, solar specifications that include required emergency shut off and electrical code requirements., and structural engineer stamped letter stating existing roof will remain structurally sound.

Records Requests:

    • Record Request Form - Fill out this form if you would like to request copies of documents from our files.

Current Projects and Data